Your Aeroplan points will expire if your account has been inactive for 18 consecutive months, which means you haven’t earned, redeemed, donated, transferred, or converted any points.
However, as long as you maintain some activity in your account, your points will never expire.
Luckily, it takes minimal effort to ensure your Aeroplan points don’t vanish.
This guide, we’ll cover how to do exactly that, including some tricks that will guarantee your points stay with you indefinitely.
As a result, any Aeroplan points that reach their expiration date from now until this date will not expire under any circumstances.
How to Keep Your Aeroplan Points from Expiring
It can take a lot of time and effort to collect Aeroplan points – but if you leave your account dormant for too long, they’ll evaporate immediately.
Once 18 consecutive months pass, Aeroplan will deem your account inactive, and your hard-earned points will expire.
Not surprisingly, the solution to retain your Aeroplan points is simple – keep your account active! All you need to do is conduct one qualifying transaction that involves at least 1 Aeroplan point within 18 months.
By following this one rule, you can rest easy knowing your points will always remain intact.
Here are the different ways you can go about preventing your Aeroplan account from expiring:
- Shop using an Aeroplan branded credit card. Charging everyday purchases to an Aeroplan credit card is the easiest way to ensure your account remains active.
- Redeem your points for rewards. There’s no shortage of ways to apply your Aeroplan points. Use them for flights, car rentals, hotel stays, gift cards, merchandise, events, and even coffee at your local Starbucks.
- Buy an item from Aeroplan’s eStore. With over 200 Aeroplan retail partners to choose from, you’re sure to find something you like that will help you earn some extra points.
- Shop with an Aeroplan partner brand. If you lack an Aeroplan co-branded credit card, you can always shop or book a travel-related purchase through one of Aeroplan’s airline, travel, and retail partners.
- Donate your points. If you’re feeling generous, you can donate some of your points to maintain your account.
- Transfer your Aeroplan points to another loyalty program. Sometimes, you can get better deals from your Aeroplan points by transferring them to another loyalty program, such as Marriott Bonvoy. As a bonus, you’ll ensure that your Aeroplan account stays active.
- Convert rewards points from other loyalty programs to Aeroplan points. You can exchange points from another program, such as American Express Membership Rewards and Capital One Miles, for Aeroplan points.
- Transfer your points to a friend or family member. As long as the recipient has an Aeroplan member, the transfer counts as an eligible transaction to maintain your account.
The easiest way to ensure your Aeroplan account remains active is to sign up for an Aeroplan co-branded credit card.
Your Aeroplan points will never expire so long as your credit card account is in good standing.
However, this policy applies only to the primary cardholder, not any additional authorized users.
If you hold Aeroplan Elite Status or are under 18 years of age, your points are guaranteed to never expire, regardless of account activity.
What to Do if Your Aeroplan Points Expire
Have you recently discovered that your Aeroplan points have expired? If so, don’t worry – you have six months to get them back.
Here are three ways you can reinstate your points:
- Buy them. For a fee, you can purchase your expired points back.
- Book an Air Canada flight. If you fly with Air Canada within six months of your points expiring, you’ll regain access to them.
- Obtain an Aeroplan credit card. You’ll get your points back once you get an Aeroplan co-branded credit card, which CIBC, TD, and American Express offer.
How to Check the Expiry Date of Your Aeroplan Points
You can check the status of your Aeroplan points by logging into your Aeroplan account.
Click “My Aeroplan” and select the “Activity” tab.
Then, scroll down to see the date your points will expire.
In addition to easy tracking of your points’ expiry date, Aeroplan will notify you up to 60 days in advance via email before they become inactive.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do Aeroplan points carry over?
- Do you lose your Aeroplan status every year?